Thursday, July 2, 2015

Jillian Stone Interview

Jillian Stone
Author of The Do It List



Jillian Stone was born a storyteller. A skill that got her into considerable trouble as a youth until she solved the problem by becoming an advertising creative. And the career did seem to suit her as she won many national ad awards including the Clio and the New York Art Director’s Club Gold. What more could she ask for? Create her own worlds? Become goddess of her own universe? Yes! So, she began to write fiction. Her Victorian Romantic Suspense novel AN AFFAIR WITH MR. KENNEDY won the 2010 Golden Heart and sold to Pocket Books. Her sexy, controversial steampunk novel THE SEDUCTION OF PHAETON BLACK won the 2010 Romance Through The Ages Erotica category and sold to Kensington Brava. Jillian lives in California and is currently writing a new spin-off novel to the Gentlemen of Scotland Yard series as well as book #2 in the DO IT LIST series.

INTERVIEW

What made you want to write?  

I have always been a storyteller. I started out a visual storyteller in advertising and then worked in film, but I always had either a script or a novel stashed in my laptop. I just never finished anything until a few years ago. 

What genre(s) do you write in?  

THE DO IT LIST is my first contemporary erotic novel.  I also write Historical Romantic Suspense (The Gentlemen of Scotland Yard) and Historical Paranormal (Moonstone Investigations). 

What was the first book you ever wrote? 

When I started out as more of a visual artist. But I have always enjoyed writing as well. I wrote two movie scripts as a freshman in high school, and started several books in college––still works in progress! 

What is your favorite out of all of your books, published or not?  

My latest book is always my favorite book. I think it is because the characters stay with me for weeks, even months afterwards.

And what makes this your favorite?  

THE DO IT LIST comes straight out of my experiences working for large national/global advertising agencies. And the protagonists, Gracie and Bradley, are two of the most uniquely damaged characters I’ve ever written. 

What is your daily routine when it comes to your writing? 

I write everyday, even if it’s just a few plot notes or lines of dialogue. 

What is something that you struggle with when it comes to writing?  

I’m not a fast writer. So many authors I know can write four to six books a year. I also make up my own grammar and punctuation––I drive copy editors and myself crazy.  

What is your favorite thing about writing? 

I get to live in all these characters heads. Experience their worlds.  It’s really an amazing magical experience to get carried away like that.  It’s similar to how you get lost in a story as a reader.

Where do you get your ideas for writing? 

Ideas come from everywhere but photographs that make a strong impression often trigger ideas.

Who is your author inspiration and why? 

I am usually most inspired by authors I am currently reading: 
The Book of Paul by Richard Long (weird, dark and definitely not romance!) 

What is your favorite book of all time? 

To Kill a Mockingbird. Scout’s voice is so authentic and pure, plus it’s just great storytelling. 

Where do you see your writing career in 5 years?  

#1 NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER!  Gosh, I really should have a better marketing plan than that, although I like the thought of writing a book that millions of people read.  I honestly don’t really know where my writing will take me. I love to write contemporary and historical. Right now, my plans are to complete THE DO IT LIST series (book two) and there is a historical spin off to The Gentlemen of Scotland Yard, CODENAME: DRAGON, due to release at the end of the year. After that, I will go where my readers and my muse take me.

A list of works:

The Gentlemen of Scotland Yard: An Affair with Mr. Kennedy, A Dangerous Liaison with Detective Lewis, 

A Private Duel with Agent Gunn, A Lesson in Chemistry with Inspector Bruce.

Moonstone Investigations: The Seduction of Phaeton Black, The Moonstone and Miss Jones, The Miss 

Education of Dr. Exeter.


An Excerpt From The Do It List

     His gaze traveled up into a sliver of night sky. “Now there’s a rare sight,” he mused aloud.
Stars twinkled high above darkened buildings. “Bradley,” I sighed, “you know we’re not good 
for each other.”He returned to me eyes blazing. “On the contrary, we’re more than good. We’re smoking hot, you know we are.” I waved at a passing cab and Bradley nailed my ride with an ear-piercing traffic-stopper. The taxi pulled over to the curb ahead of us. “You’ll go far in this town with that whistle.” He opened the door, grinning that infuriating grin of his. “If I can’t interest you in sex with a stranger, we could get to know each other while we’re having sex.” I stared at him. “What do you have in mind?” “Let’s say we make up a mutual list—ten sexual encounters.” His raw exciting gaze had returned. “Pure sex. No dates. No expectations. No attachments of any kind until the list is 
complete and then we—” I stepped off the curb and hesitated. A faint smile tugged at my lips, betraying my own intimacy issues. I turned back. “And then we walk away.” His tall imposing frame filled the space between the cab and the open door. “I was about to say, then we renegotiate.” He placed a soft kiss on my forehead. “Maybe it turns out we actually like each other.” He almost had me with that line. “I’m seeing someone.” I lied. “So am I—kind of.” If I had lied, he had just kind of lied. “I can’t do this.” “Yes, you can.” He raised both brows. “Aside from the blackout, did you enjoy yourself tonight?” “You know I did.” I backed into the cab. He rested his palms on the roof of the vehicle and leaned in. “Well then?” “We’ll see.” “We’ll see.” He flashed an electric smile. “That wasn’t a yes.” “But it wasn’t a no.”

WHERE TO FIND HER





No comments:

Post a Comment